Masthead

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

You Can Do 26.2!

Technically, I could conceivably "do" a marathon ~ 26.2 miles ~ and based on my 5K time, with no stops, bone breaks or melt downs I could finish in just under 10 hours! (The winner won in just over 2 hours.)

I was much happier participating in the 5K portion of the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon a couple of weeks ago. My biggest victory wasn't that I participated in, or finished, the race, but it was that I actually showed up and was in place by 5:00 a.m. An estimated 12,000 people of all shapes, sizes and abilities participated in the different races and I walked the 5K in about 50 minutes. And the real rub? I enjoyed it. The elite runners amaze me -- by the time I finished walking my 3.1 miles, the man who eventually won the marathon was almost half way through -- he had already run about 10 miles. Good grief.

You can see my medal in the picture ~ I laughed out loud when they handed me a medal for basically leisurely walking the distance I normally walk the Dotopotamus on Saturday mornings...but I guess you have to take your victories where you can get them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home