Masthead

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Scenes From Home

I love this little flower stand that is just below our house.  This lady grows really beautiful flowers in her rustic, wild garden and then she puts sweet little bouquets together in jars, places them on her stand where there is an envelope to leave money and a note asking you to bring back her jars.


Randy knows how much I love flowers so he has left his money in the envelope a few times.  Her dahlias are so beautiful.





The other day I noticed she added some gourds.


I'm hoping this winter she will leave plates of homemade cookies and thermoses of hot chocolate!

But here's the big news.

Randy got home from his mission on Saturday.  Yay! 

But that's not really the big news.

Saturday night Randy says, "Lori, come here, there's something I want to show you."

And then I fainted.

Randy sets up game cameras in the woods and it's fun to see those pictures to check out what's roaming around out there during the dark hours.  So, guess what was roaming around out there last week 80 YARDS FROM MY FRONT DOOR?




Okay, in my OKC neighborhood the occasional stray dog was one thing but this is crazy! 

And look at the time stamp...the dude hung around there for hours.  Awesome! 

Here's the thing... this was when Randy was overseas, so if I had been eaten by this bear during my leisurely nature stroll no one would have heard me or found me for a week.  I can't tell you how this has freaked me out because I really like the idea of exploring the woods around our house.  I had grand designs on becoming a birder!  Now?  Not so much.  BECAUSE I HAVE BEARS LIVING 80 YARDS FROM ME!

I am telling you, living in the wild woods of Washington is something.  If it's not the vampires it's the bears.  (Go Team Edward!). But we do have pretty dahlias.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11/08/2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those flowers are so nice. I wonder how many people ever know they are there? Just her neighbors? What a lovely thing to share.
    The woods come alive at night!
    Dot is not allowed outside past dusk anymore.
    -TB

     
  • At 11/08/2010 , Blogger Beth said...

    OR what if during a nature walk the bear adopted you into his bear family and you went on little bear adventures that you then blogged about weekly! The possibilities (for a children's book) are limitless!

    (One of us is giddy for lack of sleep. Which doesn't mean I'm not hopeful about bear family stories. Just please try not to end up as a bear snack.)

     
  • At 11/09/2010 , Anonymous Holly said...

    Forget the birds. Become a bearer.

    And.. Team Edward? Really? You are far more Team The-Other-Guy (I forget his name).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home