Masthead

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Christmas in July

Hi!  This is me in December.


Today?  I'm melting!  Triple digit heat means summer in Oklahoma.  So, to cool off I thought I'd share a little bit of Christmas in July.

We had some amazing blizzard and ice storms here in Oklahoma this past winter.

On Christmas Eve I left Oklahoma City at 7:00 a.m. to make my way to Altus to meet up with Randy.  I was leaving early enough to beat the storm and Dot and I were ready.


Oh but oh...was I ever wrong.  As we drove the snow got worse and worse until it was near white-out conditions.  At one point I actually spun 180 degrees and went off the road, but somehow was able to keep the forward momentum going and got out of the ditch and back on the road without getting stuck.  I have no idea why I was that lucky given that so many cars were off the road, stuck in the snow.

After THREE HOURS I got to Lawton (this usually takes me about an hour) and was right here...1 miles from my exit!...where they shut down the highway and I sat for another THREE HOURS!


Luckily while the blizzard raged around me I had plenty of gas and a good heater and finally three hours later the state troopers let us exit off of the highway and I crept along to a convenience store where I called Randy and told him I was done!  All of my I-grew-up-in-Montana-and-know-how-to-drive-in-snow! bravado was long gone and my shattered nerves were having no more of it.  I told Randy I was sitting right there until the storm passed.  Christmas Eve at the Quickie Mart!  Woo hoo!

But Randy would have none of that so he saddled up and my knight in shining armour came to my rescue, driving from Altus to Lawton to save me, and together we drove back to Altus with Randy following closely behind me in case I ended up in the ditch again.  (I couldn't decide if I was mad at Randy for risking his own life or completely swept off my feet by the sweetness of it all!)

Finally, NINE HOURS after leaving OKC, we left my car in Altus and headed south to Eastland, TX where we drove through some of the worst snow I had ever seen in Texas, ever.  At least 18 inches of snow on the road at some points.  Luckily, with Randy's 4-wheel drive and my constant freaking out encouragement, we made it to the Last Stop in one piece.  Can you say frazzled?  That was me.

But the next day?  Christmas 2009?  Wow...the blizzard passed, the sun came out and we were gifted with one of the most beautiful days ever.  I have never seen so much snow at the Last Stop and we had a great Christmas day being outside.

Big Jack probably had more fun than anyone.


Even Dot was having a good time. 


She was on high alert around those shifty cows!


Dad spent most of his day with the flame thrower burning off the needles of the prickly pear, which the cows love to eat.  It's their favorite candy.


It is written that you must celebrate a rare Texas blizzard by building snowmen.  And who knew that I was marrying the valedictorian of snowmen builders?

I thought I was doing pretty well...

 
But Randy and Jack had me so beat.


So we went for a spin around the Last Stop to check out the snow up on Scorpion Ridge.


And when we returned?  Something had gone wrong...very wrong!  The sun was getting to our snowmen.


So the snow didn't last long, but our white Christmas was fun while it lasted.


And if you're still hot from today's blazing sun, here is the entire snowy set to offer some chill.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7/24/2010 , Blogger Amelia said...

    Seeing all this snow should make us feel cooler today...still think I will take the heat as the snow like you encountered on your trip.

    Loved seeing the pictures - especially the snow people.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home