Masthead

Friday, May 26, 2006

Heaven Done Sent Another Blues Stringer Back Home

Those are the words of Jimmie Vaughan and they are fitting tribute to Clifford Antone who departed this world a few days ago. Thanks to Clifton working at KUT and getting things off of the news wire, he emailed me and I knew about the death within five minutes of the official announcement. My first thought was one of real sadness. My second thought was "dang, I wish I could go to that funeral...it is going to be AMAZING!"

Antones is one of the places that has made Austin, Texas the cool, live music capital that it is. It was the stuff of legend.

I had some of the most fun ever at Antones. Especially during the summer of 1998 when it was so unbearably hot and I was living in Beth's converted shed with an air conditioning unit that didn't work. It was much more pleasant listening to hot blues in the coolness of Antones, so I got to hear a lot of great music that summer.

I heard Storyville's final concert (twice!), Pinetop Perkins, Galactic, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, and a bunch of other great musicians and Clifford Antone was always there holding court. I miss those times.

Clifford Antone ~ may he rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home