Masthead

Friday, June 30, 2006

The Greatest American Story of All Time

Lonesome Dove is the greatest film ever made. I saw it for the first time in 1989 when I got back from France. Dad had recorded it on VHS and said I would like it. I wasn't so sure so I put it off for awhile, but finally got around to putting the first tape in the machine.

Oh. My. Gosh.

It burned itself into my memory.

I'm reading the book again and those scenes from the movie keep flooding back. What a story.

While this isn't always the case, I am SO GLAD that I saw the movie before I read the book because I can now picture in my mind all of the characters -- espcially Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as Gus and Cap'n Call. Whoever the casting director was for that movie did an absolutely outstanding job of picking the right actors. I think those men and women were born to play these roles -- whatever they did before, or since, pales in comparison to the life they gave Larry McMurtry's characters.

This scene grabbed me and has never let go:

JAKE SPOON: Well, hell, boys. I'd damn rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch o' damn strangers. Newt... Well, adios, boys. Hope you won't hold it against me. Never meant no harm. [spurs his horse, hanging himself before Gus does it.]

And this is the most poignant scene in cinematic history:

WOODROW CALL: Augustus...

GUS MCCRAE: [opens his eyes] By God, Woodrow, it's been one hell of a party. [dies].

I cried for three days straight after watching that scene. Seriously -- mom had to turn off the video for the night because I was SOBBING uncontrollably. Gus died, and so did a little piece of my heart.

So -- in honor of selling my condo, I've decided I'm buying three things: 1) higher speed internet at home, 2) a bottle of Paris perfume, and 3) a DVD copy of Lonesome Dove!

Life is sweet.

1 Comments:

  • At 11/13/2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home