Masthead

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Two Very Happy Days

I was so happy that day in September 2002 when I signed the closing papers on my condo and became a home owner for the first time. But I’m happier today because I just received the funds from the sale of that condo.

Things change. Life changes. Needs and wants change. My little 35+ year old apartment style condo was just what I wanted four years ago – it felt affordable and manageable and familiar. At this point in my life it’s about the farthest thing from what I would ever want to buy again. I learned so much from my home-owning experience that has changed my perspective and opinions about what type of place I want, in what kind of neighborhood, in what kind of condition. My condo just wouldn't fit me now.

But I did experience a teeny tiny twinge of melancholy today because this sale does represent my final physical detachment from Austin, a place I still consider home.

This melancholy got me thinking about “home” and its meaning. Here are the 21 places I’ve lived in my life – but only those highlighted are places I’ve considered to be “home”.

Aggie Village
Idaho
Billings 1
Billings 2
1503 Choteau Street
8738 Douglas Circle
Lakewood rental
13915 W. Alaska Dr.
Farand Hall
Boulder Apartment
Los Angeles
Austin Onion Creek
Austin – Barton Skyway Apt.
Austin - Pink house with Robert and Eugene
Austin – Apt. with Robert
Austin – Studio Apt. near Optical Shop
0 Alegria – Beth’s storage shed
501 Bull Creek
8730 N. MoPac Expy. #209
OKC Apt. 1
2409 NW 22nd St.

Oddly, I consider my real home to be a place I’ve NEVER even lived – The Last Stop. If home is where the heart is, my heart is at the Stop.

I don’t feel the need to rush into home ownership again any time soon. I like paying my relatively cheap rent for my old, shabby chic cottage where I can call the landlord for any real problems that arise. I realize this isn’t the best approach to financial management, but for now, it works for me.

I wish the new owners of my condo the best of luck. They got a new AC, floors, fixtures and paint, so right now that little place is about as it’s ever going to be. But most of all, here’s to the (condo) doors of our lives that eventually close and become memories and to the new doors that open as we move forward. Onward ho!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home