Masthead

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Roses Smell Like This

My favorite perfume is Yves Saint Laurent's Paris. I was originally drawn to it about 17 years ago because of its name (I admit I’m a real sap for all things Paris – you could hand paint the word “Paris” on an old rock and I would give it center stage on my coffee table) and its beautiful salmon pink bottle. But then I fell in love with the scent. It smells like roses. Pure roses. Like the kind of rose perfume a sweet little grandmother in a print dress might wear. But bigger, and bolder, and decidedly more sophisticated.

I can tell when someone is wearing Paris from a mile away – it’s distinct, not overpowering at all, but unmistakably unique. Cissy Cooper wore Paris. And, coincidentally, so did Beth Bryant for a short time.

It’s such a rare treat to buy my favorite perfume because it is ridiculously expensive. Insane people spend so much money on an ounce of scented water. But every now and then, over the years, I have indulged. It’s been well over a year since I’ve had any Paris so I’ve decided that when I receive the funds from my condo sale, I’m going to splurge and get a bottle. That $75 will give me months of pleasure and I’ll leave a teeny tiny bit of roses in my wake.

There is nothing worse than an overpowering scent, but nothing better than just the right perfume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home