Masthead

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Lonesome George



I was moved by this funny and poignant story from today's New York Times about Lonesome George, a certain type of tortoise who is the last of his kind, and has been since he was found over 20 years ago.

Scientists are on the hunt for a female, but the prospects are dim.

I find myself rooting really hard for George, just like I did last year when those researchers thought they caught a glimpse of the thought-to-be-extinct Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

I want to believe that extinction doesn't have to happen...that there is the possibility we haven't screwed everything up. That life will survive even though we humans have been careless. I want George to find his mate!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home