Masthead

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

And Our Eyes Met Again, As If For The First Time

Oh Ken,

You still look really good. I mean really good.

What's that? What have I been doing for the last 29 years since I saw you last?

Oh, you know, just hanging out and stuff.

When I saw you for the first time the other day - when I opened up the old box and there you were - I thought I would be ready to hand you over to Macy and Ruby. I thought I was mature enough to give you up to another. Oh, but I was wrong, Ken.

I'm just saying that my heart did a little back handspring of joy when I saw you. And you saw me. It was like 29 years had never passed. What's that? Oh, you're so right! Our love really is timeless.

Remember the fun we had, Ken? The talks? The wardrobe changes? The long drives in the Barbie camper? Hanging out in the Barbie condo with G.I. Joe and the girls? Good times. Good times, indeed.

I'm sorry you saw me get all flustered when Macy put that ridiculous crown on your head and insisted on calling you Prince Eric. When I saw that little wink you gave me - that wink that said, "Hey Lori, it's alright. You know I'm always going to be Ken to you. Your Ken." - I relaxed and knew that our love was secure enough for me to turn you over to the four year old.

Yeah, it's all good. Macy's never had a boy doll before and she fell completely in love with you. Your blue eyes. Your blue polyester disco suit with the sparkly pink collar. Your cool hair.

She had you marrying Ariel and Snow White and some princess named Aurora and I think you were even temporarily married to a giant baby doll named Rosie. But I knew. I knew you were just humoring Mason because you're a sweet guy like that - because you know your one true wife will always be Barbie.

What's that? But I'll always be your one true love?

Oh, Ken.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 10/17/2007 , Blogger Amelia said...

    Your writing is to creative. I enjoy your look on life, family and what ever crosses your path.

    Keep those words flowing!

     
  • At 10/17/2007 , Blogger Amelia said...

    I meant to say "so creative".

    My typing - or perhaps eyesight- or probably both are not the best in the world.

     
  • At 10/22/2007 , Blogger Emig Family said...

    You're cracking me up!!

    Did Disco Ken get drunk at Burger King?

    My Barbie always had a thing for GI Joe. Not the big one like you'd think. Oh no, she liked the tiny action figures. I never questioned it. Love is blind.

     
  • At 10/23/2007 , Blogger LKPheartsfood said...

    I'm still not mature enough to share my strawberry shortcake collection.....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home