Masthead

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Things Got Bad, He Got Mad

I know. It's so wrong. But it feels so right.

Beth lives in Baton Rouge and works there, and in New Orleans. She sent me this "Da Mayor in Your Pocket" key chain to remind me of some of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagan's very special quotes after Katrina. Katrina pretty much rocked all of us to our core, so I give the man credit for resorting only to verbal outrage...I would have been curled up in the fetal position under my desk. But dude unleashed and I will never forget hearing him those first few times.




Push the buttons on the Da Mayor in Your Pocket key chain and you can hear, in Mayor Nagan's own voice, his quotes from that now famous early press conference:

1. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME

2. THIS IS A NATIONAL DISASTER

3. GET THEIR ASSES MOVIN' TO NEW ORLEANS

4. AND LET'S FIX THE BIGGEST GODDAMN CRISIS IN THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY

5. EXCUSE MY FRENCH EVERYBODY IN AMERICA

6. BUT I AM PISSED!

I think I've pushed #5 about 100 times now.

I guess this is why I have always loved New Orleans so much. They don't let much keep them down and they've figured out that their greatest marketing assets are their food, their music and THEIR PEOPLE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home