Masthead

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

When Next You Visit Oklahoma City

I attended the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce annual meeting today. They hosted a very nice luncheon and program, my favorite part being the highly polished “This is Oklahoma City” production piece. I mean this was super high glossy if there ever was such a thing, and they made living and working in OKC look like it rivals that of residency in Paris, France. I give them credit for a wonderful job.

While it has taken me a long time to adjust to life here, I’m becoming more and more appreciative of OKC. And Oklahoma City really does have some nice world-class offerings that may surprise you, and counter the expectation you might have of what life is like in Oklahoma. We have a beautiful art museum, top-notch restaurants, a thriving arts scene, cool sports teams, and a western and Native American heritage that you can appreciate at beautiful museums and the historic stockyards.

However…I did laugh out loud when looking through some of the destinations highlighted in the 2007 Oklahoma City Visitor’s Guide published by the Chamber and given to all of today’s meeting attendees. Here are a few places you should add to your itinerary when visiting OKC:

The National Museum of Telephone History
The World of Wings Pigeon Museum
World Organization of China Painters Museum

Come for the world-class rowing races at the new Chesapeake Boathouse on the Oklahoma River….but stay to discover the REAL story of how your hand-painted periwinkles made it on to your Royal Doulton China!

I guess it’s true when we say that there is something for everyone here in OKC.

1 Comments:

  • At 12/15/2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm pretty sure I've been to the World Organization of China Painters Museum. My grandmother Burcham was a China painter and she would take my brother and I to various competitions and painting parties. My little brother would always wow the old ladies with his artistic skills. The ladies would look at whatever it was I was painting then look at me with that look the talented reserve for those devoid of it. This event would always end with some nice white haired lady telling me “you sure have pretty eyes.”

    Oklahoma is OK!
    April

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home